Blog 1

Welcome to my first blog! Let's dig in to todays topic!

Growing up and being able to see things in a different perspective than how your parents made you view certain aspects in society is very scary. What I mean when I say scary, is that a lot of things you notice yourself are very surreal such as new articles about domestic violence reoccurring often or random social media post of girls warning other girls to be careful with their surrounding. It really is the little things that can have a difference in your life both good and bad. I can’t speak for every women in the United States but I do know for myself that many other women in developing countries have many worse hardships than I do. 

An interesting fact that caught my attention when reading through the status of women's health powerpoint was how, 13.3 million (60%) women in Sub-Saharan africa have HIV which is an alarming rate. Although these statistics are high its amazing how 77 percent of  women who are pregnant and living with HIV globally had access to medicine that will not transmit HIV to their unborn child. It seems as if many developing countries are still indeed letting their women down. For example many countries have acknowledged the treaty that the United Nations agreed upon however, many of those countries do not uphold the treaty which very much so agrees to protect and enforce women rights. 

In my opinion I think one of the biggest accomplishments that women have made is entering the world of politics. Although there are still more men in politics than women it keeps on increasing and will continue to increase down in the future. 

Based on the information that I saw within the powerpoint I feel a deep amount of sorrow to women across the world. The amount of pain some women have to endure because their own county is letting them down by not punishing those who are causing them pain, which will allow more horrendous things to occur. Young girls need an education and should not be forced into marriage and some will fight for that right however in most countries still men always have the last say. It’s now 2020 and women have come a long way to get to where they are now and I have no doubt that women will give up on their rights. 

Comments

  1. I share your sorrows about the women in other countries who suffer at the hands of their corrupt governments who refuse to establish laws to protect them and male counterparts who still see them as subordinates. It is disturbing to read fact here in 2020 about women who are still fighting for equality but hopefully since more women of power are increasing in numbers in politics, the platform they have could be used to address issues like this and also help these women as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The powerpoints we read were very informational on how far women have come and indeed made me realize how lucky we are in the U.S. I understand we still have many things to stand up for but we definitely have come a long way compared to other countries. I am hoping that in time women across the globe continue to fight and receive the care they deserve for themselves and our future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are 100% correct, it is unfortunate that women have to live the way they do around the world, the even more upsetting about it all is most of it is culturally accepted by either religious belief or societal normalcy. I think the largest road black is how do you change religious beliefs that have been going on for decades. I agree with you by having more women in political platforms we will be able to make changes, all we can hope for is those changes will also happen in other countries as well. Corrupt governments like in Africa will put that to a very intense challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly feel the same, as you mention the difficulties undereducated women encounter on a day-to-day basis. Abuse travel greatly in many countries, whether it is physical or mental. I have met women in other countries that believe that abused from their husband is a form of love. These are the things that hinders some of our females from getting proper help from an abusive relationship. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way when noticing things happening around me. You always see reports on the news of sexual assaults or abuse cases and kidnappings and you never think it could be you until it's too late. We really do live in such a scary world. Even if we do feel safe that moment could change so fast and the next thing you know is you're just another story on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is insightful. I share some of the opinions that you have. The rape, the violence and HIV can be very traumatic to a woman and anyone for that matter. We must get to the root of all the madness. The number of women in political leadership is growing worldwide and this symbolizes that there can be change for the better and that laws cannot only be made, but adhered to. I noticed and if I am reading correctly, you said that you have no doubt that women will give up on their rights. Well, I believe that women have come to far to give on their rights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post, It's honestly sad that we have to live in a world like this, I hate that women have to fear for their lives everyday now because they think they could be raped or abused by anyone at any moment. I agree with you about women pushing for higher political careers, i believe that we need less amen in those spots to have more opinions and better suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Marisa,

    I also found it to be sad and overwhelmingly difficult to read about all the horrible things women face around the world. From being sold to being raped. Women around the world face tremendous challenges and injustices. From reading the statistics, I also found it vital for women to get the needed education in order to overcome some of the issues they are currently facing. When injustice and violence is what women have to overcome, getting education can prevent them from continuing a cycle of being degraded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marisa,
    The rates that were shown for HIV testing in women and their rates of passing it on to their children were both surprising and alarming to me as well. I personally had expected the developing countries to be better equip for lowering these HIV rates. Another thing I also caught was the fact that the United Nations Treaty had been created to help women and diminish the terrible acts against them, yet many countries still refused to sign. I was surprised and taken back there are countries who have this much hatred against women and that in itself was pretty unsettling. I agree that girls should get education and not be taught that marrying and having kids is their only purpose, and while many of the facts on the slides were uplifting about women's future, the world still has a lot of work to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment