Blog 3





Image result for mental illness
Mental Illness 

Mental Illness is very common as the CDC states in one of their questions they asked on their quiz. Although when we think of Mental Illness we think of people who are violent and crazy however, that is not the case. When taking the quiz I felt I knew majority of the questions that were asked but that being said what I didn't know was half of mental illness occur before a. person turns 14 years old, and serious mental illness cost America 193.2 billion in lost earnings per year. I never knew that many people around me could be suffering from mental illness and It wasn't until recently that I learned that mental illness is becoming more and more of a problem. 

Once I got into high school I noticed the many emotions that people were dealing with and the hardships many people struggled with. It was my sophomore year in high school when I noticed cuts on my friends wrist, I never said anything to her about it because I was only 16 what could I have done or what could I do to help her. It only kept getting worse every time I saw her, she started abusing drugs and drinking excessively and my gut told me that I needed to say something even if she would be mad at me. That night I told her mom and dad about what was happening to my friend and their daughter and they have absolutely no idea. Weeks went by and she never responded to my text messages or calls but finally one day when we're at church together she pulls me aside and hugs me and tells me everything that she was going though. Her doctors had diagnosed her with depression, I was only 16 and that word didn't really stand out to me ever until my friend was telling me how she felt so alone in a place where she knew she had many around her. When her mom would drop her off at school she would ditch the other way and walk back home, she started failing her classes and thinking that life was pointless. She started going to therapy by herself and with her family. Although some days are harder than others she is still doing her very best to this day to make herself proud.

The things I've learned about mental illness is to be patient and listen to your love one about what they're feeling. We might not understand it, we might ever be in their shoes however those who suffer from any mental illness just need support and guidance so they can find their way back to themselves.  

Quiz - Mental Health - CDC. (2018, January 26). Retrieved March 1, 2020, from   https://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/quiz/index.htm
Image result for mental illness

Comments

  1. Marisa,
    It is wonderful you were able to step in to help your friend, you never know if she could have taken taken further steps to have caused herself more harm. It is unfortunate today how many people are diagnosed with various mental illnesses. As the years go by, I hope they are able to pinpoint what is causing this outpour of diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisa,
    You talked about your friend cutting herself and feeling powerless to help her. I have also dealt with a friends mental illness. I think your friend hugged you because event though you didn't know how to help your friend, you did just by making yourself available, and receptive to her needs. I'm glad mental lllness is something we're discussing because each and every one of us will either suffer some form of it, or know someone who suffers from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Marissa!

    I chose the same topic for my blog and I can totally relate to yours! It's hard to understand the effects that depression can have on your life, especially in high school when you are already struggling to find yourself. I haven't had any experience with anyone cutting themselves, but I could only imagine how traumatic that was for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marissa,

    I too was surprised when taking the quiz how early mental illness can occur. Though now that I think about it, I can see how the stress of school, friends, and family problems can cause a teenager to have anxiety and feel depressed. I'm really glad to hear that you helped out your friend. Many people are known for looking the other way and being to afraid of voicing their opinion because of hurting their friendships. But what people don't realize is not saying something can cause an even worse outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marisa,

    I think it was brave of you to step up and say something about your friend to her parents. Without you, her story may have ended differently and you helped rewrite her future. I hope more people can be like you in a time where we are becoming more aware of mental illness and how it can affect us and those around us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marissa,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I also had a friend who battled mental illness. I find it incredible that you stood by her side and assisted her throughout her recovery. For you to be so young at the time, yet so competent is truly inspiring. Wishing your friend well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marissa,

    I think that perhaps there needs to be discussions about mental health in schools. From your experiences with not really understanding your friends mental state to the signs of mental health issues that unfortunately were not quickly diagnosed. She perhaps could have received treatment earlier on before she started hurting herself or worse. I was also surprised to learn about how early, at age 14, a child can be diagnosed with mental health issues. From my point of view as a parent of a teenager and a pre-teen, I would almost initially think that their actions may be related to being hormonal but yet know I understand there can be more that I need to pay attention to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment