Blog 5

Reshma Saujani- Founder of Girl Who Code

Before Girl who Code existed, Reshma Saujani was an American Lawyer and Activist up until 2010 when she emerged into the political battle for a seat in congress. Also known to be the first Indian American to run for U.S. Congress. During her run for Congress she just like many other candidates visited schools however, Reshma Saujani noticed while visiting the schools that there was a big gender gap in computing classes which is what lead her to create a foundation for girls all over the world to ensure girls are inspired, educated and supplied for computing classes to led to many opportunities in our evolving technology world. 

She attended University of Illinois, Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, and Yale Law School. Reshma Saujani seemed to have big dreams and was very determined to get those dreams achieved. Her work doesn't stop at Girls Who Code, she serves on the Board of Overseers for the International Rescue Committee which aids to refugees and those who are affected by humanitarian catastrophes. She also serves as ex-officio Trustee of the Museum of Modern Arts (MoMA). 

Reshma Saujani
"By the end of the 2019 academic year, Girls Who Code will have reached over 185,000 girls across all 50 states, Canada, and the United Kingdom." It is those statistics that has lead Reshma Saujani to be on some of the most recognizable list such as; Fortune 40 under 40, Forbes most powerful women chasing the world and Fast company 100 most creative people among others. 


About: Reshma Saujani. (n.d.). Retrieved April 19, 2020, from https://reshmasaujani.com/about/ 

Comments

  1. Hello Marisa,
    Before reading your blog, I did not know about Reshma Saujani. Thank you for creating your blog about her because I learned so much. She is a strong an educated woman and she noticed the gender gap in schools and created the organization, Girls Who Code to bring light and resolve this problem. From reading your blog, she has impacted my girls globally and her efforts don't stop there. I think Reshma Saujani is a great inspirational woman and role model in this generation. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marisa! I also did not know who Reshma Saujani was. I think she is a very inspirational woman for many young girls to look up to! Coding is very hard and I think it takes a very smart person to know how to do it. By teaching more women to code I think that is a great way to have women be integrated in more of the higher intellectual jobs. It puts a smile on my face to know that powerful women are growing even more powerful ladies of the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marissa, I think this is very good information to know. My mom is a coder and she has always told me there are not a lot of women of color in this field. The tech field is very small field for women of color but also for any women. I hope more and more women start to work in this field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marisa,

    Girls who code has made an impact on my life. I am a budding programmer and have also noticed the ever present gender gap in my classes. I saw that my TA had a "girls who code" sticker on her laptop and i asked about it. My life went up hill from there. Great post!

    -Rebecca Long (rlong7@twu.edu)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marissa!

    I enjoyed reading your blog! This made me think about a conversation that I had with my niece not too long ago. She is actually attending college for computer science and always complains that she is one of the only girls in her most of her classes. I find it admirable that Reshma created a program that encourages women and creates a support system for them in world usually dominated by men.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment